Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Lesson 2 - Being a Servant

I love the subtitle of this chapter, "Your Life Work Begins At Home."  We talked with the kids tonight about Miriam's role in serving God and His plan for Moses.  It was an interesting chat on what could have happened to Moses, if Miriam said she didn't want to follow the basket or approach Pharoah's daughter.  (The best was Charlie's guess that the basket could have hit a rock and the Israelites could still be in Egypt today...)

If we claim to be servants of God, then that life work really must begin at home.  It is so easy to let down our guard and attack our family - expecting more of them and less of ourselves than we do with the general public.  We might be quick to serve teachers or friends or organizations.  But our own family?  Well, they can make their own beds or get their own milk.

We have a new verse for this lesson...


Colossians 3:23-24
“ And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.

We've recited this for the kids before a big test or when trying to finish spelling reviews.  But I'm encouraged tonight as we seek to remember this with each other as well.  Instead of ignoring the needs of each other, we can look for those needs and seek to fulfill them, because HE FULFILLS US!  This is my prayer for them this week as they secretly work to meet a challenge we've given them...

The challenge before our next class is to do something nice for your brother/sister WITHOUT expecting anything in return.  Not even a thank you.  If they are seen and they get one, fine.  But they can't seek after one.  One can't make the other's bed or clean the other's room and then wait by the staircase with a "I can't wait for you to see the secret in your room!"  When we meet on Thursday, they will write down what they did to serve our Savior by doing for one another.
  
I'll admit...part of me is expecting "I didn't aim when I tooted."  But I'll give glory to God anyway!


Link to Lesson 2

2 comments:

  1. Amy,
    You asked about the type of printer I had used to print on ribbon. It is an HP inkjet. Just make sure the ribbon is adhered securely to the paper with scor-tape, which is double-sided and pretty strong. I have never had a problem jamming the printer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,
    You left a comment on my blog regarding my tutorial on printing on ribbon. asking about my printer. It is an inkjet HP 3600. As long as the ribbon is taped down onto the paper, it will not jam. Double-stick tape seems to hold it very well. I could not find an email address for you so I hope you get this message.

    ReplyDelete