Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lesson 1

"And he (Rehoboam) did evil, because he prepared not his heart to seek the LORD."
(II Chronicles 12:14)

Our first lesson tomorrow night will start with a look into the life of King Rehoboam.  No other king had so much passed down to him.  No other king had so much wise counsel surrounding him.  Yet his name goes down as a synonym to "unwise" and "foolish." 

All because he "prepared not his heart to seek the Lord".....  I looked into translations of this verse.  I loved the Holmen Christian Standard Bible which interprets the verse, Rehoboam did what was evil, because he did not determine in his heart to seek the LORD.  I LOVE that!   Determine in his heart....

Every morning I wake up, determined to do something during the course of my busy day.  I'm determined to drink coffee.  I'm determined to have my family sit down at the dinner table at the same time.  I'm determined to get some knitting in before my eyes fall from exhaustion.

But my determination is simply a rearranging of my calendar into the priorities that my mood has set.  How often do I determine in my heart?  And if I did, would that determination involve little thing like coffee and yarn?

Maybe...but maybe after that fleeting thought, the Holy Spirit would take hold and teach me that determining in my heart means that I won't just do "whatever it takes" to reach my goals.  My heart is HIS, therefore I would be determining for something sanctioned by HIM and empowered through HIM.

And I believe that is exactly what God has stirred up in Brad & I as we determine in our hearts to put our family directly in HIS path.  Please be praying as we guide the kids through a few sections of Chapter 1 of Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends, help them with our memory verse (2 Chronicles 16:9) and take a self-evaluation quiz on our thoughts and reactions toward one another.


2 comments:

  1. I believe our first lesson went well. We set aside an hour of time and used all of it. The kids had questions and were genuinely involved and interested in the discussion.

    I must admit that it is not easy for me to purpose to do this. I am not built for teaching grade school age children. It goes against my desire to do well... anything else, but when we commit our lives to our Savior we need to follow His will and commandments for our lives.

    This means that we must train up our children in the way they should go. We need to purpose our heart to serve our Heavenly Father each day and I am thankful that the Hold Spirit has laid this on both Amy and my hearts, and that He has opened up our kids hearts to be ready to absorb the Word of God into their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guys this is awesome. Hey, can you give me permissions so I can get your lessons? The lesson 1 said was not available and the quiz was there I just didn't have permission.

    What you guys are doing is right in the sweet spot of Deut 6. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete